|Home > Local News|
|Britain Cancels Travel Warning to Yemen|
Article Date: August 25, 2008
Britain has canceled a circular it had issued earlier that warned British citizens from traveling to Yemen except those who travel to the country for urgent purposes.
In the wake of terrorist attacks against foreign interests in the country, the British Foreign Ministry warned British citizens from unnecessary travel to Yemen. The warnings were made in late April.
The warnings have been disregarded, however, they remain effective for those who may travel to some provinces in the country such as Saada, Marib, Al-Jawf, Shabwa and Hadramout.
The Yemeni government hailed the decision, saying it will help Yemen to restore its international image particularly after some other countries went after Britain.
Minister of Tourism Nabil Al-Faqih said Yemen is doing its utmost to carry out reforms in various sector including development and security. He pointed out to the last police operations that aimed at breaking some of Al-Qaeda cells in the country.
He said the Yemeni security forces are able to deal with all problems and assure local and foreign people they will be safe.Britain along with a number of other countries in Europe, announced to all its citizens to stop unnecessary travel to Yemen on the wake of the continuous terrorist attacks in the country earlier this year.