Advertise   Subscribe Contact Yemen Post
 
About Us   Our Mission Terms & Services
Yemen Post Newspaper Logo  
Editor Picture By 2015, closed door meetings for Yemen President Abdurabu Hadi will be limited.... Foreign embassy searches not ruled out....Foreign censorship halted..... Yemenis linked with foreign intelligence hunted for.  
Hakim Almasmari  
 Publisher & Editor in Chief   
  Email the Editor
Advanced Search
HOME EDITORIAL LOCAL INTERVIEW REPORT POLITICS BUSINESS HEALTH YEMEN IN THE NEWS MIDDLE EAST INTERNATIONAL ARCHIVE
LATEST UPDATES Scores killed, injured in Yemen airstrikes :: New stage of Saudi-led airstrikes to begin :: Violence leaves two thirds of Yemenis without clean water :: Hadi appoints new interior minister :: Saudi Arabia rectifies statuses of 22.500 illegal Yemeni workers :: 13 killed, 60 injured in Yemen fuel truck explosion :: Geneva Yemen talks postponed indefinitely :: 70 militants killed, injured in Yemen battles :: 10 civilians killed in heavy Houthi shelling in Taiz :: National Forum for Rescue Founded in Yemen ::
BREAKING NEWS
z
LOCAL
Last updated: 10:34:35 PM GMT(+03) Tuesday, 15, May, 2012
 
 
Tens Including Civilians Dead in Raging Battles in South Yemen, Site
 
*
 Yemen Post Staff

The death toll from the battles between the army and Al-Qaida militants in south Yemen rose on Tuesday to 50 including soldiers, popular fighters, civilians and militants, Almasdar Online reported, quoting informed sources. Popular fighters from the local tribes in Abyan have been supporting the army to fight the militants.

A senior Al-Qaida leader and 13 militants were killed in two airstrikes early Tuesday and 7 more militants were killed in a third raid in the Jaar city, the website reported.

The leader, who was killed, was identified as Al-Muhajir, the Sharia officer within the branch of Al-Qaida in the country, it said. The group has not confirmed or denied his death.

A fourth raid targeted two militants while they were on their car notifying locals about decisions by Al-Qaida, but the website did not clarify what the decisions were.

More militants were killed while rushing to check whether their fellows were alive after raids and to take the bodies of those were dead, the website added.

Almost seven civilians were killed when they went to have a look at the scenes where the bodies of the militants were found, it said.

In addition, military sources were quoted as saying 18 more militants were killed during the battles with the popular fighters in the Lawder city. Four soldiers, eight popular fighters of those supporting the army were also killed in the battles, the military sources said, according to the website.

The army has regained control of many parts in Abyan province and the forces are further stepping up the offensive to clear militants from the remaining parts, they continued.

Exploiting the unrest last year, Al-Qaida seized some key towns in Abyan including the capital Zinjibar.

Almost a month ago, the army with support from the citizens waged fierce battles to retake control of this southern province killing and injuring many militants. More recently, the army has stepped up an offensive to completely clear the province from militants.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Yemen Post Staff
*
Source: Yemen Post Newspaper
 
 
MORE LOCAL
 
Scores killed, injured in Yemen airstrikes
New stage of Saudi-led airstrikes to begin
Violence leaves two thirds of Yemenis without clean water
Hadi appoints new interior minister
Saudi Arabia rectifies statuses of 22.500 illegal Yemeni workers
13 killed, 60 injured in Yemen fuel truck explosion
Geneva Yemen talks postponed indefinitely
70 militants killed, injured in Yemen battles
10 civilians killed in heavy Houthi shelling in Taiz
National Forum for Rescue Founded in Yemen
 
 
Comments
 
Leave a Comment
Comment will be published once it has been approved by our moderators.
Name:
Title:
Comment:

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Yemen Post may edit comments for length and clarity but will not change the tone of the message. Comments will only be accepted if all fields (including name) are filled correctly and the message isn't abusive, defamatory or offensive. All comments sent may be forwarded for use in the Yemen Post newspaper.
Article Tools
Email this Article Email this article
Print Friendly Version Print Freinedly Version
Email this Article Email the Editor
 
Most popular
 Scores killed, injured in Yemen airstrikes
 New stage of Saudi-led airstrikes to begin
 Violence leaves two thirds of Yemenis without clean water
 Hadi appoints new interior minister
 Saudi Arabia rectifies statuses of 22.500 illegal Yemeni workers
 13 killed, 60 injured in Yemen fuel truck explosion
 
Services
  Letters to the Editor
  Dear President
  Advertise
  Subscribe
  Submit Your Articles
  Classified
  Readers' Letters
 

Sabafon

 
Quick poll
Do you think President Hadi is building the base to rule Yemen for many years?

VOTE  OR SEE POLL RESULTS
 

   
   
   
© Yemen Post. All Rights Reserved 2007- 2015    

 Designed and developed by
  HyperLink