Al-Qaeda militants surrendered themselves to the Yemeni authorities in Lahj governorate on Monday, the Defense Ministry affirmed on Monday.
The ministry said that the militants responded to a call of Lahj Governor, Ahmed al-Majidi, who urged al-Qaeda militants to surrender themselves.
Meanwhile, sources revealed that the abductors of the Italian have no relations to Al-Qeada, pointing out that a tribal group abducted him to put pressures on the government.
The Interior Ministry identified the abductor Nasser Juraidan from Marib, affirming that the abductors is accused of killing and sabotage acts in Marib.
Yemen’s foreign minister has vowed to do everything possible to track down the kidnappers of an Italian embassy security officer and obtain his safe release, state news agency (Saba) said.
The Italian Foreign Ministry in Rome said a security officer who was a member of the country’s Carabinieri military police had been seized in Yemen and that a crisis committee had been activated.
On Sunday, about 100 armed tribesmen loyal to former president Ali Abdullah Saleh stormed the Interior Ministry, demanding to be enlisted in the police force.
Security situation in Sana'a and some main cities is still fragile as a number of officers were assassinated and suicide bombings were carried out against troops.
Several Yemeni military and security commanders were killed during the past two months after Al-Qaeda received painful attacks in its main strongholds in Jaar and Zinjibar, and its militants were cleansed from them.