Hundreds of the Republican Guard led by the elderly son of Ali Abdullah Saleh along with gunmen in plain clothes have been encircling the Defense Ministry since the morning of Tuesday, eyewitnesses said.
They said the forces positioned in front of the ministry, blocked all roads leading to the ministry and prevented the ministry's officers from entering.
Sources said that security reinforcements of the Central Security and the Military Police were sent to protect the ministry, pointing out that violent clashes broke out between the two sides.
They affirmed that some nearby banks such as the Central Bank of Yemen and CAC bank were shut down amid fears that the gunmen could storm them.
These developments came while President Abdu Rabo Mansour Hadi is currently participating in a summit of the Muslim leaders held in Mecca.
Soldiers of the Republican Guard attempted last week to storm the Defense Ministry in wake of issuing republican guards in which some brigades of the Republican Guard were transferred to other military units.
In late July, forces of the Police Department that are loyal to Saleh stormed the Interior Ministry and looted its contents. Yemen's security forces have regained control of the interior ministry day after fighting in the complex killed 15 people.
Meanwhile, UN Envoy to Yemen Jamal Bin Omar has said that non-military sanctions under chapter VII resolution of the UN Security Council will be imposed against any officials who attempt to hinder the political settlement.
In an interview with France 24, Benomar spelt out that sanctions including unmilitary sanctions such as freezing of assets and travel ban will be taken, stressing that the global world will not allow to break down the political process.