Advertise   Subscribe Contact Yemen Post
 
About Us   Our Mission Terms & Services
Yemen Post Newspaper Logo  
Editor Picture By 2015, closed door meetings for Yemen President Abdurabu Hadi will be limited.... Foreign embassy searches not ruled out....Foreign censorship halted..... Yemenis linked with foreign intelligence hunted for.  
Hakim Almasmari  
 Publisher & Editor in Chief   
  Email the Editor
Advanced Search
HOME EDITORIAL LOCAL INTERVIEW REPORT POLITICS BUSINESS HEALTH YEMEN IN THE NEWS MIDDLE EAST INTERNATIONAL ARCHIVE
LATEST UPDATES 858 civilians killed in 100-day war in Aden :: Huge airstrikes shake Yemen capital :: Houthis launch new scud on Saudi Arabia-TV :: 600 soldiers trained by Saudi Arabia arrive in Yemen :: Fresh car bombing hits Yemen capital :: Syndicate warns of ongoing abuse of reporters by Houthis :: Government says Aden port attack unprecedented war crime :: UN deep concern about civilians amid ongoing conflict in Yemen :: 586 die of dengue fever in Yemen :: Houthis attack Aden refinery ::
BREAKING NEWS
z
LOCAL
Last updated: 11:47:09 PM GMT(+03) Sunday, 24, February, 2013
 
 

Southern Movement declares armed struggle

 
*
 Yemen Post Staff

In a statement published in Aden Post - local news outlets - the Harak - Southern Secessionist Movement - officially announced its armed struggle against Sana'a central government had begun, calling on its supporters to stand united in their efforts to liberate their lands.

Only hours after President Abdo Rabbo Mansour Hadi landed in Aden - southern seaport and former capital of South Yemen - to address mounting tensions and violence in the city and across the southern provinces, the Harak decided to cut all bridges and declare open its secession movement.


Southern leaders, such as former President Ali Salem al-Baidh called from Beirut - Lebanon - for the armed struggle to begin stressing Sana'a was never serious in its efforts to address southerners' grievances -- stolen lands, discrimination, stolen benefits and unfair repartition of resources --


While southerners stood united with revolutionaries in 2011 in a popular struggle to depose then-President Ali Abdullah Saleh, old recriminations and unresolved issues soon resurfaced as Yemen state officials and the international community scrambled to save Yemen republican institutions through a power transfer agreement.


Strong of millions of militants the Southern Movement, except for a few radical in-groups, so far advocated for a peaceful resolution, having agreed to participate to Yemen National Dialogue Conference on March 18th.

Thursday events and the killing of four militants seem to have been a game changer of all Harak leaders, with both moderate and radicals bent on riding themselves from Sana'a overbearing shadow.


The Harak said it will now set up a revolutionary committee which will be charged with overseeing the popular liberation movement.


Residents in Aden told the Yemen Post on Sunday that clashes in between militants and the authorities were still on-going with sporadic gunshots heard in Crater and Mansoura all through the day.

Eye witnesses commented northerners were being assaulting in the streets and their properties vandalizing.

Ali a Haraki militant warned things will get worse in the next coming days as the movement will organize a systematic targeting of northerners' interests in the South.

"If people feel they can target us [southerners] in Taiz by attacking our shops and businesses then we can do the same right here at home."

While no Haraki leaders confirmed the veracity of Ali' statement, several residents concurred they had heard similar rumors.
 

 

 

 

 


Yemen Post Staff
*
Source: Yemen Post Newspaper
 
 
MORE LOCAL
 
858 civilians killed in 100-day war in Aden
Huge airstrikes shake Yemen capital
The Yemen Post blocked by Houthi militants
Houthis launch new scud on Saudi Arabia-TV
Syndicate warns of ongoing abuse of reporters by Houthis
Fresh car bombing hits Yemen capital
Government says Aden port attack unprecedented war crime
600 soldiers trained by Saudi Arabia arrive in Yemen
UN deep concern about civilians amid ongoing conflict in Yemen
Houthis attack Aden refinery
 
 
Comments
 
Leave a Comment
Comment will be published once it has been approved by our moderators.
Name:
Title:
Comment:

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Yemen Post may edit comments for length and clarity but will not change the tone of the message. Comments will only be accepted if all fields (including name) are filled correctly and the message isn't abusive, defamatory or offensive. All comments sent may be forwarded for use in the Yemen Post newspaper.
Article Tools
Email this Article Email this article
Print Friendly Version Print Freinedly Version
Email this Article Email the Editor
 
Most popular
 858 civilians killed in 100-day war in Aden
 Huge airstrikes shake Yemen capital
 The Yemen Post blocked by Houthi militants
 Houthis launch new scud on Saudi Arabia-TV
 Syndicate warns of ongoing abuse of reporters by Houthis
 Fresh car bombing hits Yemen capital
 
Services
  Letters to the Editor
  Dear President
  Advertise
  Subscribe
  Submit Your Articles
  Classified
  Readers' Letters
 

Sabafon

 
Quick poll
Do you think President Hadi is building the base to rule Yemen for many years?

VOTE  OR SEE POLL RESULTS
 

   
   
   
© Yemen Post. All Rights Reserved 2007- 2015    

 Designed and developed by
  HyperLink